I've been away from this blog for quite a while now. I lose track of time sometimes and I've been trying to distract myself with planning some events and getting ready for college next term. I'm trying to take this back up again though.
Lately, you may or may not be aware, Europe has been going through it's European Parliament elections. I've become a little obsessed with watching how it's progressing. With benefits and such always being in the queue for the chopping block I've become a little obsessed with a lot of politics.
But a lot about all of this makes me feel a bit sick. I've always been put off people with extremely prejudiced views (including members of my own family). I find it sets me right on edge and makes me want to scream in their faces then run and hide. And the incoming results for this election are making me feel increasingly sickened by Europe as a whole. All across the continent right wing, racist and prejudiced parties are gaining power. In France, a party who passed all sorts of laws to supress muslims in their country now hold most of their country's seats in European Parliament.And in England, UKIP, a party known for their racist, sexist, ex-conservative members who want to leave the EU and cap immigration to an all time low, are gaining more seats than ever. Even here in Scotland (where the UKIP leader must travel with a bodyguard to stop protestors) they may have gained a seat by the end of the night.
I can't stand to see it. Even on the news, when they interview the British public I can feel my blood boil. People full of hate and intolerance for anyone even slightly different. I can't help but feel like I live in a world that WANTS to hate. That is full of hypocrites who condemn other countries for intolerance and then partakes in it themselves. I don't know if it is part of my OCD or just part of me, maybe it is both, but I feel like I'm drowning in it. Like suddenly my opinions are being surpressed and I will be stuck in a world that wants to make life miserable for all but the rich, the straight, the white and the (apparently) sound of mind.
And as I said earlier, even my own family do it to me. I've spoken before about my grandparents thinking I'm faking my mental illness and stuff but a few weeks ago something totally different happened that shook the foundations of my belief that my family contains good people. And it was an argument started by the Eurovision Song Contest, after Conchita Wurst won. My Aunt is very Catholic and she raises her sons that way. That is fine. She imposes her views on the rest of us a little but we just go with it while they're their. but not on this. My little cousin started asking questions about how she could be a man and a woman. Now I tried my best to explain this to his little 10 year old head and I think I did OK. Until my Aunt, Uncle, Gran and Grandad all completely turned on me. All of them shouting either at me or at him that if a person is born a man then they are ALWAYS a man, no matter what. That I was talking nonsense. That I was lying. That God makes people a gender for a reason and they must respect THAT not anything else. I nearly screamed back. I didn't though, I managed to continue eating my dinner and didn't say anything for the rest of the afternoon. I knew I wouldn't be able to say anything without saying what I thought of them. I expected the sort of back dated views from my grandad but that much opposition to tolerant views was just sickening. Apparently my cousins are to be brought up to be completely intolerant of anything.
It's just all so wrong that the world seems to be stepping backwards in it's opinion so much.
No comments:
Post a Comment