Ok, I know I've been gone for a bit. A long bit. A good long while... Anyway, I'm back now.
I'm still living my life with OCD, although my medication keeps it a little more in perspective than I used to be. I look back through a lot of my old posts and realise how much earlier I maybe should have started taking them. I was very resistant to 'giving in' to taking medication. I wanted to be self-reliant and be able to 'fix' myself naturally.
Maybe, with the right treatment, I still could but that treatment is not available in the UK, where I'm from. Our healthcare system is good for a lot of things. However, they have no focus or real interest in healthcare. The NHS is dedicated to patching people up physically and sending them on their way. I was given about 12 weeks of treatment and then told I wasn't trying hard enough and that's why I wasn't getting better. This was despite me repeatedly trying to tell them that the angle they were taking wasn't working, and requesting they change tack (like they had told me they would).
With this attitude to my mental health, and knowing that I am genetically prone to OCD, anxiety, depression and BDD (Body Dysmorphic Disorder), I made the difficult decision to start taking pills. And now, nearly three years later, I'm still on one pill of Fluoxetine (also known as Prozac) a day.
I wish I could tell people that I was cured, but what I can say is that I'm back on track. I'm at university now and trying to get a good start on my career. But I have to do that with medication as a crutch.
More to come soon...
No comments:
Post a Comment