Monday, 3 March 2014

The Fear of Benefit Reform

I warn you, I am about to get political. I am aware that a lot of people who read this are not from the UK. This may all be a bit boring for you. But bear with me, if you will, and you'll see my point in the end.

As you may be aware, I and the people of Scotland are facing an independance referendum in September. I don't know what your opinions are on this, or if you have any opinions on it at all. To be honest it doesn't really matter. I, personally am for it. For many reasons. But a major reason has become increasingly pressing. It's not a major vote sway. In fact, to anyone "of a certain age" or even vaguely right wing it is a definate point against voting 'yes'. And the point is this. Benefit Reform.

Currently, as part of the UK, "benefit reform" is a terrifying phrase that indicates a move for the poor to move a step closer to poverty. I have talked about this at length. Benefit reform in the UK is a stressful enterprise that involves a rich, upper class, Conservative government (think of them as Republicans) taking money away from people who already have none and lining their pockets with it. My disability benefit is constantly hanging by a thread waiting for a "reassessment" where they will ignore what I say and decide I'm fit for work.

One of the points that the Scottish Independence Campaign has raised is exactly this problem. The fact that every time our gracious Prime Minister takes to our screens it is to announce some change to benefits, pensions or healthcare budgets that is essentially going to ruin the lives of people with little or no money. All to save them a buck. Yet the rich feel no penny pinching, no higher taxes, no change to their private healthcare.

According to the Independence Campaign, an Independant Scotland would see a rise in pensions and a complete removal of all the recent "benefit reforms" that the UK government have rolled out. I would actually be able to live in a country that supported me and helped me without badgering me to "get work or else". I would no longer face gruelling Work Capability Assessments from trained monkeys (not even medically trained) who lie about what I say to get the response they want. Why does this seem too difficult for the UK government to consider? That is the real question. If the Scottish Government want to implement it if they gain full independence, why can't the UK as a whole be that enlightened? Why do the UK Government think that sending poor people into poverty is the way forward?

Even if we take political parties views separately rather than government policies. Apart from the SNP (Scottish National Party, leading the Scottish Independence Campaign) no party wants to take back the recent reforms. Some throw a token gesture at it by offering to put more money into mental health care. And I am totally in favour of that. But half the reason I nearly went into a complete breakdown two years ago was because of how badly I was treated by the benefits office. I was bullied and shouted at for not being able to find work, never mind the attitude I recieved for being ill. Both areas need to be fixed. We can't just throw some pocket money at one area and hope the whole problem goes away. Both areas need to be helped. And that is what I am being offered if I vote 'yes' to independence. So Why can't the UK as a whole manage it? I don't think I'll ever understand it.

The odds are against me that Scotland will win independence. But I just have to hope. Because it appears to be the only way I will ever get both the healthcare and benefits I need. The way the UK is going I will get neither. I already don't get any healthcare. My doctor told me last month that even though he understood that they tackled my treatment wrong I would have to wait at least a year before I would be allowed back on the waiting list for CBT because I was deemed to have been helped already.

No comments:

Post a Comment