Health obsessions whilst being one of the most common obsessions is also one of the most varied. It can be sprung on you for many different reasons and over many different things.
I have had a health obsession caused by films, TV, family events, local events, news stories, awareness adverts, medical professionals and the internet. I had my first when I was around 9 years old. My aunt died suddenly of a brain hemorrage that nobody knew anything about. I was a little traumatised and kept thinknig I was going to die and having to ask my mum every night if I was OK. I've had a health para every few months or so since.
Most recently they have been over either breast cancer, strokes or a heart attack. The breast cancer thing is totally imagined every time I have a panic attack and I frequently have to get my fiance to feel them for me to check. The stroke and heart attack paras are usually easily explainable. I get a slight worry about it that my brain blows way out of proportion like with all OCD and I start having a panic attack.
Panic attacks come with symptoms that can be attributed to other more serious conditions. The Chest pains and shortness of breath are often confused with heart attacks by people. Trouble speaking can be a symptom of both panic attacks and having a stroke. Numbness or tingling can also be confused with a stroke by people. Nausea and headaches can be confused with all sorts of things.
Last night I had a health panic that was set off by me feeling funny all of a sudden. Logically I know this was most likely a symptom of my cold. However, there I was sitting in bed and suddenly felt lightheaded and dizzy and that was me convinced I was dying. I did all the stroke tests over and over and paced my bedroom and stood in front of the mirror telling myself I was fine. I sought reassurance from my fiance about it and rocked back and forth in bed trying not to cry. I even convinced myself my right arm felt funny. I refused to go to sleep for hours just in case I died in my sleep. Clearly I did not but the panic attack over it lasted for hours.
No comments:
Post a Comment